Re: (Derek Baily) Improvisation (TV)

I've been improvising for about 6 years now and I'll concur with the 'transfered transposing' approach as a worthwhile.

I listen to a record (being a bassist, I'm partial to that instrument) of William Parker, Peter Kowald, Wilbert De Joode or non-bassists like Eddie Prevost, Steve Lacy, Derek Bailey, etc. and when I hear something interesting, I wonder 'how did they make that sound and how can I make it on my bass.'

I don't usually end up even close to that sound but I usually discover something interesting along the way.

Ted Harms.