Re: This is your brain on jazz -- MRI studies of improvisation

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Krispen Hartung <khartung@cableone.net>
wrote:
>   Musical ideas spontaneously pop
> in my head (based on thoughts, feelings, etc), and the question is
>whether I
> have the physical dexterity and mental mapping of my fretboard to be
>able to
> execute them quickly in real time. The intersection of these ideas and my
> ability to execute is, for me, the central thrust of my entire
> improvisational energy. Everything else is peripheral.

Now this thread is getting really inspiring! It's interesting how we
all differ here. My central thrust of improvisational energy is about
balancing in time. While I leave my body and reflexes to play the
instrument and react to the universe of sound around me I let my mind
stretch out; backwards in time and into the future at the same time.
And what I do then is to gain a taste of the general musical flow.
Where are we going? Where do we come from? What alternative paths are
ahead? Making decisions on what landscapes to explore is what I do all
the time, but without ever loosing that delicate balance in time.
Notes, scales and music theory is peripheral.

Wonderful! Well said! :-)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen