Re: OT: compensation (WAS Re: Looping venue help)

you know I was a guy who argued a bit of the yes it would be great to be paid but when not do it for a range of reasons from love to art to promotion but Per's point is the first that has made me think.  I concur as I juggle a day gig, constantly juggle things in my life to make room for music, marketing, gigs, etc.  Bought a travel guitar years ago to have something to take every day and play while waiting on the train simply as I wanted more time to work on my art and it was a stage.  This has not necessarily been a bad thing as some income did come at times more than I would ear from a NY club and occasionally a wedding or some kind of private event has come to be from this effort.  But that all said if I had more music related income such as paid gigs as that is the weak link in my equation of all I do, I might not have to work so hard to have the time or even have a day gig.  I don't mean to be naive to that but I've thought of this a million times as I keep working towards the elusive carrot of trying to get the very thing to happen, in reality the answer is simple as he just pointed out.

My fear as a performing musician the other side of the argument or simple my conflict of why when pushed comes to shove I'll still play a gig for a free is that I got a late start performing, essentially late 30's for many reasons, one I used to just be afraid really afraid of failure, rejection, all the usual crap.  A really great therapist in non-traditional way helped me transcend those obstacles and I'll forever be grateful as there was nothing more I wanted in life than to be a performing musician other than make a living at it so again Per your point is well taken sir...

Best

Jim
www.jimgoodinmusic.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com
www.myspace.com/jimgoodinmusic
www.myspace.com/chinapaintingmusic
www.myspace.com/eastofwhere
www.myspace.com/jimgoodinviolinelectro

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 4:23 PM, phillip wilson <phillwilson@hotmail.com> wrote:

> musician, i just simply think if ou took away ALL financial incentives to
> play you would be left with the people who play with a passion because it
> means as much to them as any other form of interaction that we define
> humanity by.

Phillip,

That's right, but I think you're leaving out one important factor
here: None of these players, that love what they they are doing, will
ever become absolutely fantastic simply because they can't finance the
time needed for that to happen. That is my only argument, and the
reason I want to pay for music when it's good.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)