Re: Why SHOULDN'T musicians be paid?

Coming to this party a bit late, but the response to Rick's comments
about his art and commerce has me confused.  I must be missing something
here.

I think the music video for 'Money for Nothing' by Dire Straights &
Sting goes straight to the issue - " That ain't woikin' ".

The distinction between !value! and $value$ notwithstanding, the fact
that American society has de-valued music specifically and art in
general reflects a cultural pit that we've fallen into.  I'm personally
encouraged by people like Rick who refuse to allow their inner spirit to
be dampened by commerce and the 'dumbing-down' of the masses.

We've got list members right here that can attest to the fact that music
*is* a healing art.  We've got others on the list that remember when
powerful music brought American youth together and said 'NO!' to a war
in Southeast Asia.   We have many others right here that have been told
their art helped people through crises much as a sympathetic family
member might.

And those of you that can teach are planting the seeds of ideas that
have the potential to liberate the young person that feels like they're
'outside looking in' or another that will come up with the next
non-linear discovery of some universal truth. Or how learning to play is
building brain power available for other pursuits.  I happen to believe
that this is how art works.  That its power isn't universally
acknowledged speaks to what I consider one of the big problems in
American culture.

The fact that artists/musicians are often outside the mainstream of
popular thought is why they make easy targets for exploitation.  Club
owners have always viewed the world this way - but they have always
acknowledged that music brings people together and putting on a live
show is a specialized skill.  The modern DJ has interfered with this
calculus, but in some clubs they just can't compete with live
entertainment.

The cliche of the 'starving artist' has always been a truth - and now
more than ever - but I have always envied those able to make that
commitment.

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY