OT: sound to picture metamorphosis

Lying in the sun, I've been thinking about a sound to picture
metamorphosis  - maybe just an early sign of a sunstroke ;-).

Wouldn't it be nice, if some entity (probably in the form of an
ingenious program) could visualize what we play? And I'm not talking
about a notation program or a spectrum analyzer. What I have in mind
is more like a painting that is created in real-time based on what is
played. I know there's software (e.g Metasynth) that does the
opposite, that is images are translated to sound. Any comments on this?

Cheers from Switzerland

Nico

www.myspace.com/nicospahni
www.recpro.ch