OT the Guitar as percussion instrument in Live Looping

Luis posted this video of Preston Reed's percussive style (probably
an influence on Kaki King, the wonderful percussive and now, looping
guitarist)

www.youtube.com/watch

I thought it might be cool to watch it and find some other resources
on the web (as well as post our own thoughts and practises) about how to
use
the guitar as a percussion
instrument.

My own brother, Bill Walker has been finding incredibly cool sounds out of
hi lapsteel guitar, by brushing the strings to create shaker effects and ,
just lately , he's discovered
a very hip really high pitched cowbell sound buy manipulating false and
very
high harmonics and then
damping immediatlely.    His 'drumset' loops at the latest Heroes of Slide
Guitar show in Santa Cruz
was particularly compelling to me.   He even used his cell phone on the
pickup to amplify some
cool 'cricket' like sounds.

Preston uses his techniques in real time, interspersing them with tapping,
strumming and glissing
the strings in much the same way a beatboxer can weave in a melody ,
linearly, in to a beatbox).

The cool thing about this technique is that it presents us with only
partial
percussion that is so convincing
that the pattern orientation of the brain completes the
pattern.............this is done analagously by beatboxers who can
weave in faux instruments, lyrics and drums by interspersing individual
16th
notes of different timbres of sound....all
in a row.

My brother, uses live looping and then layers several parts on.

They are both very valid approaches but require really different mental
sets.

In some ways, because one doesn't have to hold down the fort in looping,
it
means we can search for more interesting and
idiosyncratic sounds to weave into our instrumental mix that we don't have
to be responsible for holding down constantly
(in much the same way that I can use a frisbee as a kick drum sound
without
having to play the instrument for the entire
song).

The acoustic real time way is certainly more difficult and technically
impressive, but the looping part may, ultimately, be
more liberating and innovative in terms of pure timbre.

What do y'all think?