Re: OT the Guitar as percussion instrument in Live Looping

This (off) topic is occupying a lot of my explorative practice these
days...I feel like there's so much more to be uncovered. When doing
vocal stuff, I'm trying to always incorporate some rhythm to distinguish
myself from the folkies, and generally I use the thumb as bass drum
above the strings, the pinky nail as snare below the strings, with the
other fingers free to do regular strumming. Here's a really short and
lo-fi clip of a vocal tune using this approach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_5pzN-o74w

(you can see my need for a better pickup of the percussion...)

There's a San Diego acoustic songwriter named Veronica May who I
discovered just last week; she tapes a piece of sandpaper to her guitar
top for a nice scrape. Her arrangements and singing are rather
eccentric, but her technique is wonderful (she has studied hand
percussion for quite a few years, which shows).

http://www.myspace.com/veronicamay

I LOVE the rhythmic pick scrape idea. I don't use a pick but I'm going
to see what I can do with the unused side of my nails.

The Eric Roche stuff is great...I'm sad to hear he's "late", I'd never
heard his stuff.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com