Re: OT: Mackie SRM150 / tiny PA

hey Duke, hehehe...oh yes, I know about the visa runs. We're actually
"legal" now with official residence visas, but we have friends who
always use it as a great excuse to go to Guatemala or Belize. sometimes
I regret not having the excuse...!

thanks for the notes on the CM-30. Most of the time, I'll be running
just nylon-string guitar through the system, but sometimes vocals, and
sometimes also cassette loops which more-or-less can cover the whole
frequency range (at least on the low side). I'm pretty sure I'm going to
go with a Yamaha system, either the Stagepas or the single MSR-100, both
of which involve an 8" woofer, horn, and bi-amped 100 or 150 watts per
speaker. In going through the process of choosing, I've decided I want
to get something as expandable and flexible as possible, in case the
situation comes where I need to run a couple of people through it, for
instance an acoustic bassist or key player. The Yamahas seem to have the
best chance of reproducing that stuff, while still being very small.
Plus I've fallen in love with the detachable powered mixer that comes
with the Stagepas - I might be able just to fly around with that alone
and leave the speakers in strategic places, which is the most portable
solution of anything.

I do have a Micro Cube and am amazed at how loud and clean it can be,
for having only 5 watts. If it were guitar alone I needed to support,
I'd probably go with a CM-30 no contest, for the cost/headroom/size ratio.

thanks much - hope the Korean gimbap was kind to you.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com