Re: is using Pre-recorded Loops Cheating

Hi all

I'm pleased to see that I've hit the nerve with this subject :-))

I would like to add one more thing to this comment:
> Being an "entertainer" is about "ego"
> And being an "artist" .. is about "reaching the unreachable"

I believe that the last sentence is only half the truth. True: It is the
artist's task to "reach the unreachable".
However, it is at the same time also to bring "heaven to earth", or bring
the "unreachable" to people.

So, if you are a composer, I think you can simply focus on "reaching the
unreachable" and hope that in the next generations someone will discover
your music.
Howeever, if you are a _performing_ artist, the goal is different. I
believe even Miles Davis - who has been known for a certain dislike of his
audience -, when playing in a bar etc, would only be satisfied if there
would be at least one person in the audience he could reach with his music.

So, I think as _performing_ artists, you need to be in touch both with the
"heavens/unreachable/unkown/creative force..." as well as the ordinariy
people in your audience. If you just focus on one of these two, you will
be either a bitter, unrecognized genius in his own musical world or a
plain ego booster putting his narcissistic self into display.
But playing for an audience, pleasing them, being in touch with them is -
with the right attitude and vision - not about a big ego but about a big
HEART.

My most significant exprience on this was this:
I used to push my muscic more into complexity, speed, wild rhythms,
sophistication. Then coincidentally, I bought a live recording of
Elizabeth Cotten. She was already very old on the recording and singing
with a cracked voice. But she was a lovely woman, telling a story to her
audience and TOUCHING the hearts of people.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tm5-WdB_aVE

This has changed my musical life.
And I would always trade a [add your favorite rock/jazz/fusion virtuoso
here] solo to a simple song of hers.

Buzap

--
249 Spiele für nur 1 Preis. Die GMX Spieleflatrate schon ab 9,90 Euro.
Neu: Asterix bei den Olympischen Spielen: http://flat.games.gmx.de