Re: is using Pre-recorded Loops Cheating

Buzap Buzap wrote:

>I'm pleased to see that I've hit the nerve with this subject :-))
>
>I would like to add one more thing to this comment:
>

>I believe that the last sentence is only half the truth. True: It is the
>artist's task to "reach the unreachable".

OK, sorry, but my English major side is poking through here.  I think
you mean "It is the artist's task to "reach for the unreachable", as, by
definition, one cannot reach the unreachable.  Or, as a far better poet
than I once said (and I fully expect the list to be inundated with
people who can remember which poet it was (-8): "A man's reach must 'er
exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

>Howeever, if you are a _performing_ artist, the goal is different. I
>believe even Miles Davis - who has been known for a certain dislike of
>his audience -, when playing in a bar etc, would only be satisfied if
>there would be at least one person in the audience he could reach with
>his music.

Ah, but how could he tell?  His performances vastly touched me and
influenced my music in so many ways, but how could he tell?  I'm a
jive-ass honky, and my reaction to an epiphany (which Miles delivered at
several concerts) is a dumbfounded, slackjawed "let me go think about
this for a millenia or so".  Yeah, I was on my feet clapping, but he got
that much when he simply walked on stage.  And there is the question
that while I can see his influence on my music, would he recognize it?
And if he did recognize it, would he want to acknowledge it? (0-8

Sorry, I'm not sure what my point was.  It's just that any mention of
Miles Davis pushes my buttons. (-8

John McIntyre
mcintyre@pa.msu.edu