Re: Bose L1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Gallaher" <micdave@hiwaay.net>

> If everyone is using one, that might be different as all would
> (theoretically) seek a balance,
[SNIP]

This is fine in theory, but the one time I saw the Bose system in real
action, I was very disappointed.

The group was Men of Steel, a guitar quartet.  Each person had an L1 with
sub, in a room that's usually very good acoustically.  I was off to one
side, and found that the balance was *WAY* skewed in favour of the
performers on that side.  I checked the other side, and found that the
sound there was skewed in favour of the other side.

It might work for a solo act, but I wouldn't use them for anything more
than that.  Honestly, I'm not sure I'd use an L1 at all, because the times
I've heard them (the above show and various demos), I didn't like the
sound.  I don't have a good explanation for WHY I didn't, in terms of
frequency response or whatever, unfortunately.

>   It's also wonderful in small rooms.

That might have something to do with it as well.  The show was in a
fair-sized church (Unitarian on Cleary Ave., in Ottawa, ON if anyone knows
the place).

> Another item-their customer service is excellent. ...
> Overnight replacement of a critical
> component-at no charge-is about as good as it gets, in my opinion.

Can't get better than that, really.