Re: Looping Beginner Seeks Help

Hi Monkey,

I am also a beginner. Perhaps my experience can be of some benefit.

I started out with a boomerang+. This works well for changing verse-chorus on the fly. I then picked up an RC-20XL, but that was somewhat limited in loop switching, although it did have other benefits such as Undo. However, I used the two in a setup in which I would do rhythm tracks on the RC-20 and song structure on the boomerang (or vice versa). This works for some songs but not for others. The big problem with this setup is no undo function on the boomerang, so if you make a mistake you have to make it work within the song or abort. Also the timing is extremely tricky so if your rhythm is off just a tiny bit that will get magnified each time through the loop.

Then I started reading up on Looper's Delight, and gave Mobius a try. This has opened up a whole new world. Once I learned some of the Mobius functionality, I decided to go completely laptop with little external gear (btw, you will need a Behringer FCB1010 midi foot controller). Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of money to spend. So I spent a couple of months searching for vst host and vst plugins that will work for me. Finally I am at the point (after several crashes and lots of reading and configuring) that I can start having fun. I am very patient and work as a programmer so troubleshooting the problems was not too bad, but even for me sometimes it got to be too much. I think a lot of my problems are using freeware plugins, and a cheap Midi interface, but I guess you get what you pay for!

Good luck with your looping, if you want something easy that can get you started, and you don't make too many mistakes, then get a boomerang. I still use this live with my band, it's a great gadget that also works nice as a delay. If you don't mind spending some time learning a complex device, get Mobius, it is unbelievable how much you can do with it, and I have only scratched the surface. I have a friend who uses an RC-20 in live performances as a rhythm backup to his leads, and it sounds great.

I have a follow up question for the list: How do you make Mobius emulate the boomerang ability to switch to Next Loop AND start Record at the end of the currently running loop? Likewise, when done recording on the second loop, is there a similar command to goto Previous Loop AND Stop Record on current loop?

Thanks,

Eric

P.S., thanks to all on the list for sharing your setups and advice, it has been extremely helpful for me to sift through your previous posts to learn how to get this thing off of the ground.

Depending on what you want to perform, it may be worthwhile taking a look at the Boss RC-50 Looper:
http://www.roland.com/products/en/RC-50/index.html

It doesn't have the feature set of the "real" loopers like Looperlative or Mobius.
It allows you to run three stereo loops i.e. synced in parallel or independently in sequence. You can overdub each loop and use additional Aux Sends.

Depending on how deep you want to dive into the looping world initially, it may be a worth considering as a "first looper".
Per has provided a great page where you can compare features:
http://www.looproom.com/looperchart.php

Don't get lost in gear & tech stuff ! ;-)

Buzap