re: Looping Strategies

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your (cool) feedback.
May i just say from the begining that i did not want to appear categorical
in my statements as i said to Claude Voit "en Français" privately (now i
know what is a "Troll" Claude!, thanks Wikipedia).
But my bad English does not allow me more nuances.

> I often use my guitar synth to construct a song form with all
the typical accompaniment drums, bass, keys, pads, etc - the Repeater
allows me to then solo over four simultaneous loops. Those loops can be
mutated, reversed, etc for variety.

1°You can compare this as the "Making-of"of a Movie.Interested to see
once("for the Trick").Moreover all the process take Time,more than usual
for a good song.Risk is you lost your listeners.Time-format is crucial
here.That's why many Loopers end-up making Ambient(and please,i love
Ambient).
2°If you want to play alone WHY imitate drums,bass,keys...?
re:"for the Trick!".Is the Trick the only power of your Theme?

> if I understand you correctly, layering does indeed present a problem
>when a loop gets too 'dense' (vertical motion?).

Not only,the problem is much about when all the Song/Theme is based upon
one Loop ("begining/middle/end i quit"),you see?No Harmonic
movement(Horizontal motion),only Vertical motion(layering upon
layering)Here starts Sound synthesis.

> "Sound Designer".This is the second Stage.
OK, I might be in 'stage two' this week.

lol...

> The problem IMO, may be that you have left the audience out of the
>equation.  Hopefully the performer is trying to engage listeners at some
>level, because 'performance art' can't really exist in a vacuum.

Well said!This is a recurrent problem with "looper" Artists: they seem to
play just for themselves; precisely because people don't care about all
those Tricks...That said i can understand the concept of 'Performance
Art'.I saw one time at the television a Painter executing a painting of
Marylin Monroe real-time in less than 6 minutes and WOA!!! i will never
forget that.This is Talent!

> play briefly the begining,the middle,and the end of the track and if i
>can notice the same loop there and there, then i quit...
You've expressed your preference and your method of excluding a whole
genre of performances.

As i said,i love (good) Ambient,the Music of Dennis Moser to name a few...

> You are obviously a musician, but are making some sweeping statements
>about motivations for looping and the artistic merit of different
>approaches and applications.

I am a humble Musician not better than all of you i'm sure.

> but bass is a great instrument for looping, especially
since looping can expand an understanding of musical roles not typically
associated with the bass.

That's why i don't intend to switch and...i own an EDP.

> Sorry - this got a bit too long
You're welcome,I HAVE to thank you for your kind support.
Good luck with your Music!