RE: DL4/Akai Headrush Reliability

I have a headrush 2, which is still in it's box. wasn't grungey enough
for me... FS to first 1/2 decent offerer, pref UK because otherwise it
costs me more to ship than I paid in the first place..... ditto 2880 &
controller.... too many looper boxes.....

ahem.

the DL4 has these sturdy-looking footswitches which, it turns out,
aren't.

they operate, via internal pistons & biro springs, some tiny tactile
switchgear soldered directly to the circuit board. it's a shitty idea,
designed to save money on hand-soldering "real" switches (like you still
get on EH & MXR gear) to the board, with little bits of wire.

that said, the DL4's saving grace is the mil-spec casting & the
reasonable accuracy of installation of these plunger device switch tops.
however, they do work loose (depends on the user's footwear & whether or
not they've also spent years using "real" pedals).

as they work loose, there is a significant risk that the switch plunger,
with or without the owner's assistance, will find it's way further into
the casing. the plunger travel will now start pushing the tiny
microswitch into the circuit board unless the entire assembly is a)
caught in time & b) retightened in the correct position. happened to my
guitarist, but mine is fine. caught his just in time. the bits can get
lost very easily or (probably worse) go inside the DL4 & bugger up it's
elec-trickery.

has anyone tried the m13 yet? I have been put off by the look of it's
switches, though I haven't seen one in real life yet.

d.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail (and any attached files) is confidential and protected by
copyright (and other intellectual property rights). If you are not the
intended recipient please e-mail the sender and then delete the email and
any attached files immediately. Any further use or dissemination is
prohibited.

While MTV Networks Europe has taken steps to ensure that this email and
any attachments are virus free, it is your responsibility to ensure that
this message and any attachments are virus free and do not affect your
systems / data.

Communicating by email is not 100% secure and carries risks such as delay,
data corruption, non-delivery, wrongful interception and unauthorised
amendment. If you communicate with us by e-mail, you acknowledge and
assume these risks, and you agree to take appropriate measures to minimise
these risks when e-mailing us.

MTV Networks International, MTV Networks UK & Ireland, Greenhouse,
Nickelodeon Viacom Consumer Products, VBSi, Viacom Brand Solutions
International and Comedy Central are all trading names of MTV Networks
Europe.  MTV Networks Europe is a partnership between MTV Networks Europe
Inc. and Viacom Networks Europe Inc.  Address for service in Great Britain
is UK House, 180 Oxford Street, London W1D 1DS, UK.