VG99

   Believe it or not I’m not totally down on modeling, and of all the products out there both hard and soft, the VG99 is the most intriguing to me, for a number of reasons. One is they have been doing modeling longer than any major manufacturer I believe, even predating Line 6 if I’m not mistaken, so perhaps they have evolved the furthest.  Another is the midi capability and Roland pickup capability. I’ve been waiting for a while for them to come out with a real guitar synthesizer with a real bank of real quality synth sounds and samples, and though this isn’t that animal, it does seem to do some pretty bitchin simulations of GR300 inspired sounds, and it has the capability to drive other synthesizers via a built in midi converter like the G-20, Not to mention a really cool control surface with d-beam and ribbon controls etc…..the dedicated foot pedal ain’t to shabby either.  Also with the one exception of their reverb algorithms, Roland does some many types of effects so well, with great routing flexibility and deep midi control capability.  So would any one on this list who owns this beast care to shed some light on it. Is it easy to get around on? How’s the manual? Oh its Roland, need I ask? How is the modeling? Can you get a dynamic clean sound ala’ blackface, can you get a singing sweet  women tone  type overdrive with it? I haven’t used my GR30 guitar synth in over 2 years but I’m wondering if this beast might get me interested in guitar synthesizer and elaborate effects usage again. I’m also fascinated with the possibilities of altered tuning the VG99 offers. Thoughts? Anyone?

 Bill