OT: Dummy-Plug Trick for SL-20 Slicer...

Okay, lately I've found myself treating my culture shock by feeding
my GAS (which is not good; I've still got to work on that).  The
upshot, however, is that I've gotten a few nice pieces of gear
lately, one of which is the SL-20 Slicer that Rick gave a wonderful
initial review of a few days ago.

While playing around with it tonight, I discovered a tip that I
thought was worth passing on.

I was scrolling through the 50 algorithms trying to see if there's a
random pattern (there isn't), but since there's a "random" stereo
pattern I got an idea.  I tried applying Doug Baldwin's "dummy plug"
idea, which he originally used to extend the DD-20 Gigadelay loop
time from 21 to 42 seconds in Ping Pong mode.

This works best while running in mono.  Simply set up your Slicer
with the standard mono in/mono out config you're probably already
using.  Now insert a "dummy" plug into the other stereo out.  This
can be an extra 1/4" adapter, an old patchcord, whatever... But the
point is that it's a signal path that leads to a null: it goes
nowhere.

Why do this?  Well, the Slicer offers all kinds of neat Stereo Output
modes, but you normally can't do anything with them while running in
mono.  However, by slipping that plug/cord into the unused output,
you now have access to them (well, the right half of them, at least;
but this is actually a hidden strength).

As I just mentioned, only the right side of the output is being
heard.  This enables you to add yet another extra layer of complexity
to any of the (already overwhelming) 50 Slicer algos.

You can now use the Random Stereo Mode to approximate a random or
pseudo-random algorithm.

Since you're only hearing every other note, the Ping-Pong Stereo Mode
effectively cuts the Slicer tempo in half.  This can be a great trick
to quickly reach down and switch the slice into a old style Dub break
(especially if used with delay).  A second later, you can click back
up to normal speed.

The Auto mode is supposed to pan from one side to another.  If you're
only listening to one side, what you hear is the Slicer effect fading
in, then fading out again, then back in, ad infinitum.

The 3D Modes (3D Crossover & 3D Panning) are rather interesting, in
that they're variations of the above.  However, the 3D effect adds
some interesting filtering and phasing effects to the algorithms.

So, in summary, this little trick can add another 5 variations to
each of the 50 algorithms.  Combine this with the Attack/Duty and
Effect/Direct Level controls, and the Slicer can actually be quite an
expressive little box (even without having to kick in the Looper).

        --m.
--
_____
"we're no longer sure where home is; homesickness is our only guide"