Re: Back on the original topic: SuperCollider

---- Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill <rs@moinlabs.de> wrote:
> Ahemm...not wanting to sound like a pain in the ass here, but...that
>original link in the "SuperCollider" mail was to a piece of software,
>which I quickly installed on my machine yesterday...what does it do? What
>good is it for me? What good is it for you (i.e. the guy who originally
>posted the link)?

                 Rainer

I haven't used Supercollider a great deal myself, but I did a gig a few
years ago with Tim Walters, who is a SC wizard. I fed some free-improv
soprano sax playing to his laptop, which was running a collection of SC
code he wrote. Great fun, because I had absolutely no idea what was going
to come back at me. Tim had a whole bunch of signal processing
routines--delays, loopers, pitch shifters, all kinds of
distortions--triggered and controlled in real time, so the output was very
much a collaborative effort.

SC itself is a programming language, qualitatively similar to MAX/MSP or
Csound. You write code, compile it, and run it. Given all the creative
work being done on software synthesizers (and software and hardware
loopers) these days, it's probably not for everybody, but if you feel
constrained by what's available, it's certainly worth a look.

Brian