Re: OT- literature

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Dave <prog.music.freak@gmail.com> wrote:
How 'bout "Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas" by Tom Robbins...

As a huge Tom Robbins fan, I have to say that that one is my least favorite of all his books.  Start anywhere else in his catalog and you'll get a better story I think (of course he's one of those people who tend to write the same story every time; they're great if you like the story but if not then you're not likely to find one that suits you better).  I'd say Another Roadside Attraction, Jitterbug Perfume or Skinny Legs and all would be better starting points.

And as someone pointed out Ubik by Philip K. Dick, I would also add Valis and the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch as crucial though you could do worse than reading all his novels.  PKD has the capacity to cause a major shift in your persepctives if you're not careful.

And finally, I really love Tim Powers, espectially Last Call and Declare.  He's one of those writers that starts with commonly accepted history that slowly gets turned into a landscape that is fantastic and bizzare and yet almost more plausible than the 'real' explanations.

Good stuff, now to find the time to read some of the suggestions thrown out this time around

Kevin

--

Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a
form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all trouble.

- Ramana Maharshi (1879-1950)

Sound and Vision: http://www.minds-eye.org