Re: Electric Ouds

well being rather jazzed the last few months or I should say oudjazzed about the oud and doubly about Mr Lindley who I'd still like to grow up to be I loved seeing this clip and it propelled me to look for others.  Found this one of Lives in Balance but they never zoom in on him (shame) to verify the fret or no frets but I don't think it's fretted.  HIs opening instrument a bouzouki I believe in the initial vid here of course is fretted but think the one he is holding and on this link is not, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_OcvQ_Pi0&feature=related.

I am loving the oud and am for my money approaching it in my fingerstyle way which got a couple of pos nods when I did a piece on it Sunday at the NYC Fretless Guitar Festival which was a really neat night here in the east.  Connected with several other fretless folks who like this list and Y2K has brought me from the e world to face to face which is such a reflection on the neat times that we are living.

Anyhow I've found particular oud influence from this guy, Anoura Brahem and have for several months been listening to an ECM trio record of his.  Here is a vid of Anoura with Dave Holland on bass and John Surman on clarinet.

Ok as long as I've  drifted the topic back to Lindley and a really neat electric performance of El Rayo X I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuueaAeFqxA&feature=related

Rick by the way I'm planning to try to travel with my oud to Y2K, you had mentioned I could borrow yours and I'll let you know but if possible I'd like to have my own.  However your thoughts/offer were greatly appreciated, look forward to seeing you again and being part of the magic there.

Best

Jim