Re: The ethics of software emulations?

I really have enjoyed the insights shared so far, and I'll admit I'm
struggling with this.

My gut feelings are as a software programmer, if I make a software
alarm clock, I'm not ripping off the manufacturers of physical alarm
clocks. And if I made a software looper (I wish!) I'm not ripping off
the manufacturers of hardware loopers.

If I were writing a software looper, I'd start with implementing the
features of the best hardware loopers and proceed from there.

If I'd decompiled the code that made the hardware looper work, then
I'd feel I'd crossed a line.

But I'm interested in ethics and not law, and as always, the level of
discussion here is illuminating, and greatly appreciated.

--
Art Simon
simart@null.net