Re: bbe sonic maximizer

I tried using the sonic maximizer as an AU plug in Logic Pro before,
and to me it turned out causing more trouble, then introducing good
things. The exciter effect harms signal transients severely and
phasing was introduced to the bassier frequencies causing a wobbling
and unstable impression there. A decent EQ, preferrably an analog one
seems to be a much better solution to freshen up a signal - in other
words, it the signal is alredy sounding numb, when playing it, then
nothing can really help it, especially not in the digital domain.
80s exciters worked in the analog domain, if i am not wrong
(corrections welcome) - at least my aphex exciter can do small
wonders if a recording is not optimally eq'd. It can help shing some
light on a single signal in an otherwise foggy mix, although
introducing more noise as well.
The rack mount exciters of that time sound much more natural, than
any digital domain exciters introduced later (the exciter in logic
pro is equally bad..) - and yes, they do introduce a harshness as
well, but a smoother one.

i suppose, that eliminating issues with bad, harsh sounding
converters (in some boss loopers, line6, zoom, repeater...) and as
well using a good quality analog EQ and compressor can do more
wonders in that matter. generally i'd recommend to stay analog as
much as possible.

jayrope
http://kliklak.net
http://myspace.com/silencecollective