Re: Frequencies was Re: AW: AW: OT: new Macbook wíthOUT Firewire :(

George Ludwig schrieb:
> There is a phenomena known as "beating"....

> It's my belief that these beat frequencies, though subtle in most
> musical contexts and certainly not perceived as a "third tone", are
> nonetheless important psycho-acoustic cues that aid in spacialization
> and "presence". And I'm relaly surprised that the audio community at
> large hasn't figured this out a long time ago.

Its because the beating frequency isn't a real/physical one. The
difference frequency will only show up as real, if there is non linear
distortion involved. This does happen also in the air, but the
difference frequency would then be recorded as well...

The main reason why higher sampling rates sound better, is avoided
aliasing. It's almost impossible to create an analog filter which will
pass all until 20 kHz and cutting all above 22.05 kHz. To create a
filter that has a complete octave to do that is much easier to build.

What makes the high end converters so expensive is the filter...

The bad reputation of digital versus analog is due to bad implementation
of converters in the beginning of the digital era btw...

Another point of real sound in the air versus recorded sound from your
stereo is spatialisation. Two sources (or 5) of sound are not the same
as a continuum of sources...

Stefan

--
Stefan Tiedje------------x-------