Re: Hardware+software newbie questions: help with music setup

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Nick <ParadoxQuine@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so the 1/4th inch connectors on the audiofire2 aren't separate
>stereo?

Big ones are mono and the small one is stereo (phones output).

> I guess it'd be best to look (since the kaoss already takes these) for
> something with red+white stereo audio cables, with two pair outputs and
>at
> least one input pair then?
>
> I think I see what you mean - the phones on the interface would allow me
> hear the sound from the kaoss without any lag,

Yay!!! ;-)

> but theres no way to reduce
> the lag with the signal coming from the kaos>interface>computer most
>likely,
> right?

Correct. But given the sound is recorded the software can compensate
on playback of the recording (not working if the application - Live -
is slave syncing to master clock source though).

> I'll have to go to a music store and ask since I don't want to buy an
> interface only to find out I need to do all hardware looping to prevent
>the
> lag.

Of course you should! Although hardware modules also needs different
time to process an input before sending it out at an output. Latency
in hardware may be more difficult to deal with musically, since they
rarely offer compensation. You should always try out gear before
buying - buy exactly the same gear as someone you trust recommends.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)