Re: exciting sound design tools

a personal favourite

MAM RS3 Resonator

http://filters.muziq.be/model/mam/rs3

the LFO mode is great for post processing loops, giving an impression of
"continuous evolution".

I also like the MAM Warp9

http://filters.muziq.be/model/mam/warp9

..there's something about it's sound which doesn't take up a lot of space
in a mix,
and that's just really nice for looping.
..but apart from it's unique timbre, I imagine the Sherman could do
everything
it does and more.

Both those are analog filters which take their circuits from vintage
synths,
RS3 is from a Korg(which I don't know) and Warp 9
from a tiny synth called a Wasp(wonderful)

Here's reviews of both effects:-

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb01/articles/mameffects.asp

andy butler