Re: Y2k8

Quoting kalimbaman7@yahoo.com:

> I want to publicly thank Rick Walker and everyone who attended this
> years Y2k Looping Festival for the incredible memories that will
> stay with me forever. Thanks Rick for your graciousness,
> hospitality, giving and the conversations about music (at 3 o'clock
> in the morning)!! In you I've gained a brother.     Thanks Krispen
> for your profound generosity and both you and Rick for ushering me
> into the software "world",  since I've always been a hardwire type
> of guy......Luis Angulo your musical gift is vast and deeper than
> you know. Enjoyed creating powerful music with you "In Rick's shed"
> Literally! Luis we have great things to accompolish.  Thanks to Glen
>  and many others who made my stay in Santa Cruz incredible.
> "KalimbaMan"

I first heard Kevin "KalimbaMan" perform at the Electro-music festival
and his performance there and at the loopfest was excellent.  I think
anyone who heard him would agree that Kevin is one of those performers
who has smoothly integrated looping into his performance.

The lineup of musicians was superb and I enjoyed listening to the
newbies as well as the experienced loopers.

There were many highlights this year and if I try to mention them all,
I'm sure that I will forget someone then feel really bad for the
oversight.

One thing that stood out is that I don't think I've ever seen some
many shapes and sizes of guitars!  For me (a non-guitar player) this
was fascinating.  I enjoyed seeing the chapman stick -- it is a rather
amazing instrument.

Was fun to watch "Chinapainting" manipulate the cassette loops.

The uber-loud feedback loop (produced with BIG tube amps) was fun,
too... thanks for the earplugs!  :)  I listened from the hallway most
of the time... I really wanted to stay in the room but I needed to
"save" my ears to play the theremin later.  Next time, if this set
follows mine, I look forward to staying in the room and letting the
vibrations run wild!

Rick's set on Saturday, performed with day-glow orange props with
blacklighting, was lots of fun.  And, he incorporated a couple of toys
into the set (where did he buy those vibrating toys, anyway ??
**grins**).

The prepared electric piano set was as much fun to watch as it was to
hear.  I liked the "pops" and "sizzles" that came from the piano.  I
could almost smell fried circuit boards.  Oh, how sweet!

And then there were instruments that produced the unexpected -- a wind
controller that sounded like percussion and keyboard, Matt's setup
where he makes his drum machine sound NOT like a drum machine.

Was good to see and hear Margaret's set.  I heard her at electro-music
2007.  She keeps changing her "sound" from year to year.  Wonder what
she'll do next time?

Wish I could have spent more time in Santa Cruz... next year I hope to
have more time to "hang around" with my fellow loopers.

This year Rick suggested that I improvise ... so I gave it a try.  The
theremin presents some issues because one can't really hit a pedal or
touch a button while playing (any extraneous movement upsets the
pitch).  The other issue is that the theremin's attack is relatively
slow and it can be hard to hear the precise location of the "beat".
My plan is to incorporate some other instrument into my looping --
perhaps a small keyboard synth that will allow me to lay down patterns
that are a little "punchier" over which I can add theremin lines.

This opens up another challenge -- that is, how to travel light via
airline.  My equipment setup was rather minimal but it still cost me
40 extra bucks each way to fly with it (maybe I'll drive next year and
then I can bring whatever I want).

Well, hope everyone is doing well.  I enjoyed seeing and hearing
everyone and hope to see everyone again next year!

-- Kevin