Re: Software Loopers and Hardware Loopers

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Krispen Hartung <info@krispenhartung.com> wrote:

BTW, I'm very possibly going to finally abandon my
always-a-work-in-progress MAX/MSP looper in favor of Mobius now that
it's on the Mac, ...

Maybe  you can do both? Best of both worlds. I may try that again, but the last time I did, Max and Mobius would not play nice together and share the MIDI port. I might try again to see what happens, running Mobius as a VST. I like Mobius because it handles all the meat and pototoes looping very efficiency, wherease I can use my max looper for all the mangled random looping.

Kris

at a certain point it becomes a performance issue to run all these programs together - i would probably continue to use them both, but in separate contexts. it's true that my looper can play back 16 loops at different speeds, and vary all the speeds in interesting ways, so it's unlikely i'm going to get that outside of Max... but the meat-and-potatoes part can be a little buggy, and i'm just sick of spending so much time programming (that's my day job too). maybe if i give it a rest for a while i'll feel differently. so i guess it'd be more accurate to say, i'm about to experiment with mobius and see what the losses and gains are.

and i'm about to load up the computer even more, i believe, with a very exciting beta from a friend that i can hardly wait to talk about here, but i'm not allowed yet. so i'm trying to be a bit careful about the cycles i'm using. and it will drive me back in some ways towards max, so who really knows?

i think i have another 2-3 months of utter chaos, a couple of months of consolidation, and maybe i'll have some really cool stuff together for next years' loopfest.