Re: OT: Zoom H4 bass response

I've been quite happy with my H4 for the last year or so and haven't found it to be bass-heavy.  However, proximity to a flat surface can certainlyl introduce a bass hump to the recording.  Try standing right next to the wall in a rehearsal room and notice how woofy everything gets compared to three feet into the room.

And regarding loud shows mixing high volume performances, here are some guidelines for "too loud" that I found posted somewhere:

If the club owners says, "turn it down." Then you are too loud.

When the bartenders say, "we can't here the drink and food orders." Then you are too loud.

When the whole front end of the club moves away from the band to the back of the club. You are too loud.

When you find that making little quips like "too loud? too old" get you all giggly and excited, you are too loud.

When the clarity, dynamics and seperation all mush into a muddled drone, you are too loud.

When you don't know the difference, you're too loud.

When you haven't been on the circuit long enough to realize that the bands getting all the work aren't too loud, you're too loud.