Re: Loop software with varispeed

L.Angulo wrote:
> How many choices will there be Andy?having all would be offcourse a
>dream but  to play over the I II III ,IV, V, VI, VII would be more than
>enogh to make a song happen!
> Luis
>

>>> If there were just a few selectable pitches, which
>> would you use most?
>>> e.g. down an Octave, up a fifth

Provisional plan for the EDP emulator is to have a few buttons on the
plugin graphic inteface,
with a some carefully selected pitches.

...but we already implemented the ability to respond to Midi notes, so
that gives you every semitone.

Warren Sirota wrote:
> nice summary, andy.
ta
> i'd also like to point out that in my experience,
> actual artifacts are minimal if you're just change the playback speed on
> a loop to pitch-shift it (except during the actual process of changing
> when the buffers are overlapping) - it's like changing the speed on a
> turntable. (as opposed to pitch-shifting and time-stretching to preserve
> loop length).

The choice is about what happens at extreme pitch shift,
do you

1) limit the range to what works "well".
2) use a lot of cpu intensive filtering to reduce aliasing.
3) give the users an unlimited control range, and let them decide whether
they want
   to keep within the artefact free range.

Incidentally, I already developed algorithms that don't produce artefacts
during the pitch change ;-)

andy butler