Re: a moronic question

"You'd need a pretty smart sample player, with many layers of samples
being triggered under different circumstances to do a reasonable job,
and even then the nature of MIDI would frequently defeat you
(depending on controller and its match to the instrument being
modelled)."

A pretty complicated process indeed...but that is of course if the aim
was to imitate the instrument in real time. All those nuances could be
put together if one were to programme it in slowly keeping in mind the
instrument.  one would ask..why go through the hassle, just play the
guitar and record it?

I guess it would be that the sampler is the instrument that i wish to
learn not the guitar. In the case of the conga, I have learnt it to an
extent but struggle to get a good sound for recording (injuy/newbie
recording chops). It would not take long for me to mimic all the
nuances of playing conga if they were made available to me but, like
you say, i would if i were to play the sampler live and map piano
movements to conga sounds.
All is well in the realm of programming.

but i think it is possible to say take 16 conga samples and assign
them to say a trigger finger and practice finger excersices using the
trigger finger as virtual conga. (not so painful, great on quality.
but the guitar would present more of a translation challenge.

I guess i want the sampler to be a kind of 'any instrument'. learn the
techniques of the sampler well enough and have access to any sound
without going through the years of learning various techniques..and
stil be able to 'play' it live, perhaps a deadend since i woudnt be
able t visualise the techniques in the programming of melodys, grooves
or in the mapping it to a triiger finger or three...and would only
just pass as 'ok sounding'

to have all perc instruments at my disposal with one controller, one
technique to learn and the ultimate in portability (with the one draw
back of being 'inauthentic')
But the people in my generation like that inauthentic sound- so its all
good

these kids, always looking for shortcuts around years of hard work

errr... was i babbliing?

just trying to make music like the sounds i hear in my head.