Re: Sound Back in the Day was Re: ART Regular Output vs. Inspiration

Louder and better IMO. That is if the stage level balanced the PA well
and you had a good listening position in the room, with ear plugs in
place. With bad balancing the sound had too little definition. The
first loud concert I saw was Ted Nugent in 1970. I remember thinking
it was interesting but way too loud to be listenable. I also thought
the guy was too ridiculous to be watched, but stayed anyway to
experience the loud sound. Back then, at fifteen, I was into players
as Johnny Winter and Hendrix  that made some tonal sense with guitar
noise. Some years later I heard Focus and not only Jan Akkerman had a
wall of Marhalls but also Thijs Van Leer, who also had several stacked
Leslie cabinets behind him. His Hammond organ shook the ground but his
flute and falsetto singing, going through the PA, could not be heard
at all - except for during stops and breaks.

First time I heard a band play with he kick drum put through the PA I
thought it sounded fantastic! That night turned me into a kick drum
lover and after that I always made effortsin order to hear the kick
drum when playing with bands. Which wasn't always possible because
everyone rehearsed so loudly.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)