RE: bitrman (ineko)/sound in the good ole days...

Scott Hansen wrote:
"as for the "old days sound"....i don't know...i saw springsteen back in
march in omaha, and i thought the sound SUCKED!!!! it was way too
loud,and just unpleasant to hear.i saw him on tour for his 90's  solo
albums back in '94, and that was a GREAT concert."

You are soooo right, Scott.   I was really exhausted when I wrote that
piece of vitriol about subsonics    but I had meant to say (and forgot
to write) that I had just seen Springsteen and was horribly bummed out
that the sound SUCKED!!!!     One of the culprits:    you guessed it,
a stupidly over loud and over subbed  kick drum and bass guitar sound.I
was so bummed as I had dragged a young student of mine to see the
concert on the whole basis of ,  "Hey, you have to see a truly great
rhythm section
in rock and roll who sound fantastic live."

The thing I"m finding just hilarious is the trend in drum sizes in the
indie rock scene.      All the kids are hearing these huge subbed out
kick drum sounds and they can't get anything resembling it
acoustically,  so all the drum manufacturers are starting to sell 4
piece kits with massive (and deep shelled , which increases subsonic
mulitplication)
26" and 28"  inch kick drums.      You can make a properly tuned deep
18" kick have a huge subsonic sound with a very long envelope through
the use of
eq and subs....................Now these kids are playing kick drums
that are impossible to get a tight sound out of.

Play some of those typical Bonham 16th note triplet double fills on kick
when it's running through the typical sub woofed system and it sounds
completely unintelligble, rhythmically speaking.

Mind you,  Bonham used a 26" kick frequently (though not always despite
rumors to the contrary) but there were no subs in the PAs in those days
at all.

Arrrrgggggghhhhh!,  NEVER get me drunk and ask me about the subject,  I
become ahorrible stereotypical loud bore on the subject.
Come to think of it,  I think I may be a horrible stereotypical bore on
this subject completely sober (which I am 98% of the time)