Re: Live Looping in an ensemble context

Great subject!

I allways felt a bit sad that although live looping makes playing solo
easier, it might also cause people to stay alone.
One of the main reason to build the LOOP delay (which turned into the
EDP) was the BrotherSync feature.
I did the first session with it in '92 with David Hopkins.
But before I had great times to play with others into the same delay
machine.
Some of the best recordings are on
http://matthias.grob.org/pMusic/CDsE.htm
The most intense duos have been with percussionists: Giba, Bira,
David...

The first festival I participated was Loopstock. I looked for someone
to bring me there and Jon Wagner offered some space in his overloaded
fantastic old Volvo, next to all his drums. When I heard he was
druming, I asked to play together, so we met a few days before and
figured it out and it worked.
And I started this week to edit the video! (learning...)
I will tell you when I upload it.

And at Y2k7 I invited Arild Andersen to play with me - which was a bit
heavy for me (sync did not work), but still fun!  ;-)

And today I talked with Per and he suggested to bring up this social
subject more, and I said: can you point me at videos of duo
recordings, with at least two players using loops most of the time? He
could not. I met very few
Urban Nature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaJKp8KvABc
Lur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZIc1uPcZUY
Improvizone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lV3KN5g-fo (special case
since Os does the looping)
Mich Gerber: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA1srd_bczs (he plays
professionally with a band, but just him looping)
Rick, Per and Pellef: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAySrzSa7Hg

Yes, to be social here is great, to meet at festivals is even better,
but the best is to do it together!!

Matthias