RC-20XL Live vs. other loopers

Hi All,

I am new to looping and the list and have been experimenting with the
RC-20XL. I have been able to set up two phrases, and using two keyboard
pedals with a male stereo 1/4" to two female mono 1/4" cable (via RCA), I
have successfully been able to move between the two phrases. My problem is
that if I overdub on the first phrase and then go to the second phrase, I
lose my overdubs when I go back to the first phrase. As soon as I press
"Write" to save the first phrase before going onto the second, the phrase
stops! I want to be able to set up both loop phrases live and move between
them and possibly a third phrase. Is there a workaround to write on the
fly using the RC-20XL to be able to record overdubs live and move between
phrases?

Another aggravating thing is being unable to use the increment or
decrement to go to an empty phrase and begin setting up a new loop from
scratch. I have resigned myself to using prerecorded base loop for the
second phrase, but ideally, I would create both loop phrases (or all
three) live.

Are there other units that can write on the fly, move back and forth
between phrases and set up phrases from scratch live mostly using foot
pedals? I am comfortable using MIDI sequencing and digital audio software.
What about RAM-based looping software solutions with foot pedals, are they
worth exploring for this kind of thing? How about legacy gear like the
Electronix Repeater or the newer Line 6 JM4?

I am hoping that the collective knowledge of the list will be able to
provide some insight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Karl