OT:distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,special sauce, secret goo

isn't "special sauce, secret goo" a comment in "space jam" w/ bugs bunny and michael jordan?
oh my gosh, thanks for all the posts, that debate made my day, and we wonder why we can't get along in the world, we can't even agree on distortion/overdrive/fuzz/crunch sounds etc...haha

yes, it is all subjective, i think i remember first hearing hendrix before i started to play guitar, and i thought his sound was the heaviest, hardest, fill in the adjectives....
then i remember seeing a live clip on MTV i think a few yrs back, the one of purple haze at a club in london early in his career ('67), and i remember listening to the sound of his guitar, he may have had a fuzz box, but was hard to tell (no shots of the floor), i think he had just one marshall amp, anyway, hearing that after yrs of playing, and experimenting w/ different effects, i thought his sound was almost country twangy. it was weird.
i've had the same effect in relistening to 80's adrian belew, his stuff doesn't sound that distorted to my ears now, and hey, it could be old age and going deaf from guitar-who knows....so, yeah, in arguing that, there is no winner...but good points
its funny to talk about teaching beginning guitar students (i don't) but my son has had 3 lessons now, he's learned E and A, i told him, well it's time to start a punk band.
oh, as for the piano reference, i know a few good piano players, and i will say that i've heard them talk (bitch and moan) about how bad certain pianos sound vs other ones...the problem is it's hard to control for them (can't just restring, or retune, or put different battery in a box), i'm sure most people can't tell the difference, but they can....
s---
ps-i will say since i've been playing in '83, i used to go for the most distorted sound i could get, (and i went yrs w/o an effects box at all b/c i couldn't afford one), but once my 50 watt amp died 2 yrs ago, i've had 2 small amps , 10 watt marshall, and a 12 watt Kustom tube amp, and in both of the amps, I HATED THE NATURAL DISTORTION of the overdrive channel, it just sounded horrible, i much rather have clean amp, then control my distortion w/ my 2 amp modellers (yes 2), so i guess i prefer preamp distortion, an idea i've heard both nels cline and david torn have talked about in interviews...and again maybe for me it's because i don't own a boutique super distortion option amp....
oh well, happy looping....