the secret goo of set theory

> In UK while I was a pre-teen schoolkid for some reason the powers that be decided that symbolic logic (in it's guise as Set Theory) needed to be taught as a pre-cursor to maths.
> I don't know what the other kids made of this (or indeed the teachers) but I found it incredibly easy to draw the diagrams and get the answers, ...it felt like cheating.

As a matter of fact, we did that too, and (at the risk of coming over as complete nerdodork) I strongly believe that everything you learn in school in the subject called "math" should be set theory up to sixth grade or something.
For children, set theory is very intuitive (much more so than e.g. natural numbers), and if you've mastered it, everything else in mathematics falls easily into place.

           Rainer