Re: OT: Korg Pandora PX-* recommendable?

Buzap <buzap@gmx.net> was like:

Hi folks

I was just packing some stuff when I thought about it:
It would be neat to have small box, possibly with FX, to connect a guitar signal (guitar or mic with RC-2 looper) to headphones/stereo when travelling.

So what do you think?
- Should I get a Korg Pandora PX-1 on Ebay?
Is the quality ok for travelling purposes? Or should I invest more in a PX-3 etc.?

I bought a Pandora PX4d a while back, and I never use it.

What it does is pretty impressive, but it wasn't very useful for the sorts of things I like to do - that is, change effects on the fly while I'm playing the instrument.

With a Pandora, you can set up 6 or 7 different fx in a chain, with one of each effect "type" (some of the types are amp simulation, cab simulation, reverb, modulation, etc.) The fx themselves sounded pretty good to me.

It also seems to be ok for the purpose you're asking about - a small potable headphone amp for guitar.

However, say you want to twist a knob to make a "wah wah" effect with the filters, or do some expression with the pitch bending effect by twisting a knob. In order to do these things, you had to open up the "editor", tab over to the effect, and then modify it. Not very friendly to on-the-fly sorts of stuff. An Alesis Ineko wound up filling that role for me.

Caveat: I didn't spend too much time with the device, and it was about 8 months ago. It's possible that my observations are poorly informed.

Matt Davignon
www.ribosomemusic.com