Re: OT The historic roots of Santa Claus

Hi Rick!
thank you for this story!

what they dont say:
The swiss (and probably further european) tradition is a visit of Sta
Claus on Dec 6!
The old man comes with a donkey and heavily knocks at the door and
looks up every kid in his huge book and criticizes its bad behaviours
with the threat to take it with him into the forest (this threatening
part has faded since I was a kid...) but then ends up forgiving and
pouring a heap of nuts, cinamon bread and oranges (and chocolate) out
of his huge bag - which then turns into the dinner of the whole family
that day. A wonderful party, I think, with a vibe very distinct from
Christmas.
I made the Sta Claus once and loved to tell the kids about the natural
life in the forest and vegetarianism... :-)
Its amazing how kids dive into the story and don't even realize that
some times the old man is their own father!

In our familiy, the being that brings the Chrismas presents was called
Christ-Kid and I remember I perceived it rather as an angel with long
white hair than a child...

Jesus is a spirit of light and sun (nicely explained in the Zeitgeist
movie).
The name Christ means crucified, so to call his birthday Chrismas is
rather paradox.
And to imitate the tradition here on the south where the sun is at its
maximum even more...
But we are having nice meetings and good food, all is fine :-)

And I wish you all a lot of light, too!
Matthias