Re: Beer Budget CD Release Strategy as an Alternative to The Way It's Normally Done

Those are all great reasons, Rick. Everyone is going to have their own
personal and valid reasons why they outsource or make their own product.
It
is a very interesting topic!

Just for others' reference.....for me, after doing the math, saving let's
say 50 cents a CD to do it myself, vs. going with Kunaki (which has no up
front fee, and you can order as few or as many as you like for the same
price of $1.75, with free UPC code that you will have to pay for yourself
otherwise), the decision was clear. And even if it were a manner of
finances, even if I were making my own CDs for only 50 cents, the $1.20
discrepancy with Kunaki is so insignificant, that I could just counter it
by
charging that much more for my CDs.  This is how businesses would do it
anyway...you build production costs into your street cost of the project.
Or if you don't want to charge your customer more, then you just give
yourself less profit, or you cut operation costs, design costs, etc, etc.
It all works out in the wash with a balance between profit, customer
satisfaction, quality, competitive prices, etc.

But I know making homemade CDs isn't just about boring business mechanics
and running a financially sound business for most people, otherwise, if
you
add up your operation costs (manual labor, etc), and then what you can do
with this savings (like creating more music, creating lesson plans,
reading
a good book, having sex with your significant other, etc :) --- then the
cost of opportunities lost in not outsourcing are tremendous. The logic
would point you directly to outsourcing once you realized what you could
do
with that free time that outweighed any personal satisfaction of creating
your own production line, in addition to being your own CEO, CFO,
marketing,
R&D, sales force, etc. Folks can probably do this with the low quantity
that
they make and not lose too much lost opportunity costs in the long term,
though if you had to make thousands you would go out of business and have
not time to play or record - you would be forced to outsource and change
your philosophy of CD production.

But this is all not valid if you enjoy making the product yourself and
controlling the process, despite the arguments that say it is not
financially sound. All good reasons for people in the arts.  People in the
arts, I have discovered, do all sorts of quixotic things that make no
financial sense or keep them financially bereft their whole lives, but it
makes sense to them in the grand scheme of things, and spiritually and
emotionally, which carries the most weight.

Kris