On transience, sad beauty, and The Western Tradition

Heh.

As I have been getting ready for my very own Great Western Migration the end of this month, I have had to skim the list far more than usual. One of the things that leaps out, from the Subject headings of a number of recent postings, is the sheer level of maudlin nostalgia that we collectively seem to be expressing of late ... now there is nothing inherently "wrong" with this, it simply got me in a little more introspective frame of mind. Well, that and confronting the reality of moving my wife, cat, and household 2000 miles across the country!

Some not-so-random thoughts, then:

1. Too many years ago, I was given a damaged sitar (the upper resonating gourd was damaged. I removed it and was able to make hideous noises and pretended to be George Harrison for a few months, until I gave up) and in trying to learn about playing it, I came across a thin little paper back "How to Play the Sitar" by Ravi Shankar (no, that ISN'T the title, but it was something equally ridiculous by a Western writer interviewing the Master about the process). The one thing that DID stick with me was Shankar's discussing a concept that he referred to as "the universal sadness of humanity" ... as if sadness was a ubiquitous for all of us. Being as I was also neck-deep (ALL puns intended there) in 16th-18th century lute performance, this resonated strongly with what I was experiencing with the music of English lutenist and composer John Dowland, whose "touch upon the lute, doth ravish human sense" or as appears in many references, "Semper Dowland, semper dolens" ("Forever Dowland, forever sad"). We Westerners have no corner on the market of universal sadness ... "all things must pass."

2. Someone mentioned "The Pines of Rome". An excellent piece, indeed. For me, discovering Ottorino Respighi (sorry to be so pedantically correct, but that's how his name is spelled) meant his "Ancient Airs and Dances", the three suites of music based on lute music of the Italian Renaissance, especially after finding the very lute songs that he had arranged for orchestra. Some great little gems in there.

3. Ralph Vaughn Williams: wow, what to say ... first encounter was actually in high school band, playing his "English Folk Song Suite" (2nd trombone, for those keeping score). The sheer richness of melodic theme material that Williams used in this is not to be belittled. Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Pentangle, and host of other folk-rockers would be much-diminished had it not been for the likes of Williams and others who brought together the Child's Ballads and other folk songs and brought them back into the public eye. It was only later that I heard "The Lark Ascending", then "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis". I want to go on record again (I say this about every other time I hear that piece) and say that when I shuffle off this mortal coil, that someone will PLEASE play that piece in my memory) ... the "Greensleeves" variations were nice, but it was those two that really spoke to me.

It was at this same time and place that I discovered Percy Granger and his "Lincolnshore Posy" (geez, what a whack job! Grainger is one of those ones, whose music you can love, but really don't care to know too much about his personal life ... ). He predates Cage in the use of "chance" in his compositions and his use of arhythmia ("Rufford Park Poachers (Poaching Song)") is absolutely daunting.

4. Perhaps we can start a new thread on "Songs of Ecstasy and Joy" to counterbalance this one?

Best to all in 2009,

Dennis