Re: Syncopath Specifications/Comparison (Was: New Software Looper)

Hi Per,

Thanks for putting it on the list, looks good :)
Sorry for my late reply, I've been busy moving to Berlin...

Regarding Time-Stretching.
I was a bit confused by your chart since one of them said "no, pitch changes with the tempo"

So to explain in more detail:
What is popularly referred to as a time-stretching algorithm, where no pitch change occurs, is a granular re-synthesis of the sound.
Syncopath does not do this, so maybe the "no, pitch changes with the tempo" would be a better fit.

You can however "stretch time" in a very elastic way using the BPM control - this uses a much simpler and cpu-friendly algorithm that keeps everything in sync while stretching, but, pitch does change.
It will even change fluently into Reverse, if you take it to the negative numbers.
When running as Slave to a Host, changing the BPM of the host will do the same thing.
Without having played too much with Mobius, it does sound like it would be similar to rate shift, like Rainer mentioned.

This is an addition to the per-track Playback speed changes that are synced and only change the speed to multiples of the Master BPM.

Otherwise it looks really good, so again thanks!
One thing you could add I guess is that it runs on OSX and Windows, like you have for the other software loopers :)

Cheers,
Lasse

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Per, you asked:
>> I'm not sure though what you mean by "Time stretching: Yes, but pitch changes with the tempo."

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Rainer Straschill
<moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
> As far as I can tell from the video demo: it's a varispeed-kinda
> function (similar to rate shift in Mobius or the tape delay-sytle
> speed control in the Repeater).

That would mean that no time-stretching algorithm is engaged in the process.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen - www.perboysen.com