RE: things of sad beauty

Bob C wrote:
"Of more modest proportions yet expanding into the elegaic, I would
recommend:
Prayer - from the Keith Jarrett album Death And The Flower, a wistful
duet between Jarrett and Charlie Haden.
And from outside the western tradition: Salaman - on the Toumani Diabate
album New Ancient Strings."

Cool,  if we are too expand this list to non-classical music examples of
sadness and beauty,

I can add...................The Koln Concerts by Keith Jarret and in the
same vein as your suggestions, Bob,
Baaba Maal and Mansour Seck's     "Djam Leelii"

A third of the  Joni Mitchell discography
A third of the Cure's discography
A third of Elliott Smith's discography

and some individual tunes:

"40 Nights"   and  'Softly William,Softly"  by Dave Brubeck (off the
Time In record that was a low seller for him)
"Corinthian Melodies"    by Art Lande and the Rubisa Patrol (ECM)
"Sand Glass" by Eberhard Weber  (on the Yellow Field album on ECM)
"Midwestern Nights Dream"  (Pat Metheny with Jaco Pastorius on ECM)
"Song for Sally"    Chick Corea off of Solo Piano volume 2 on ECM
"Lalene"  by Keith Jarret  (off of 'Facing You'   for solo piano on ECM)
"Follow Your Heart"    by the Joe Farrell Group (featuring John
McLaughlin on CTI)

and in pop music
"Columbus"   by Mary Black
"I Can't Make You Love Me (if you won't)    by Bonnie Raitt
"Centerpiece - Harry's House     Joni Mitchell off of "The Hissing of
Summer Lawns"
"Cherokee Louise"    Joni Mitchell
"Polly Come Home"       Alison Krauss and Robert Plant
"Anyone Who Had  A Heart"    Shelby Lynne
"Stay"      The Blue Nile
"Last Winter-Superwoman"        Stevie Wonder
"If I Ever Lose This Dream"     Aretha Franklin
"Oh Linda"    Gordon Lightfoot
"Four in the Morning"    The Youngbloods

There's more but my mind is experiencing over load

LOL, and I'm not in a sad mood at all........................time to go out
and rage with my newly fretted guitar and my fuzz factory, tweak fuzz,
demon wah,  dod meatbox and alesis Bit-r-man

don't worry, though,   I do happy and contented