Re: On transience, sad beauty, and The Western Tradition

I find it amazing that there's a reference to "Rufford Park Poachers" here!  Martin Carthy's version is amazing—one of my ALL TIME favorites!  Arrhythmic is definitely an operative term here, but Carthy's rendition flows right through it all while telling the beautiful and sad tale of the common man beaten down by the man! Stick it to the man!!!

Wow . . . If we're gonna talk about spellbinding and melancholic FOLK tunes, there's a pretty strong tradition of telling sad, sad tales, sometime maudlin and cheesy, sometimes absolutely entrancing.  "Lord Franklin" is another fave, covered by a large array of interpreters.  Thanks Dennis . . .  -m

Dennis Moser wrote:

It was at this same time and place that I discovered Percy Granger and his "Lincolnshore Posy" (geez, what a whack job! Grainger is one of those ones, whose music you can love, but really don't care to know too much about his personal life ... ). He predates Cage in the use of "chance" in his compositions and his use of arhythmia ("Rufford Park Poachers (Poaching Song)") is absolutely daunting.

--
Miko Biffle
Biffoz@Gmail.com