Sad Beauty

    Roy Buchanan's The Messiah Will Come Again ,is one of the most emotional guitar solos ever. Roy said,(not about that tune in particular) that he used to close his eyes and say help me help me help me while playing certain passages.
  Robbie Robertson,who also learned some stuff from Roy,spoke of holding his breath to get feeling into some parts.
   On sentiment,emotion maudlin etc. I consider Sentiment to connote nostalgia for past emotions, which is a bit different than registering a spontaneous emotional response in the present. Both are part of the artists tools for evoking emotion.  Maudlin has the connotation of emotional over response,wallowing in it. It's the sort of thing Anglo Saxons were likely tolabel latin cultures with It's certainly traditional in the more northern climates where survival was tougher,for the cultures to be more emotionally reserved,while those closer to the equator were more epxressive. In many places culture is more effected by media ,economics and eduction now than climate. Still I've been in places in te N. Midwest where folks that are good friends are uncomfortable if one stands close than 3 or 4 feet from them,and lived in Hawaii where  people will kiss people they're just meeting on the cheek.

If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present.

Ludwig Wittgenstein