Bowed String Instrumentalists Speakers

Another alternative would be the new Fishman Solo, which goes down to 80 hz If you are using sub sonic processing you might feel the need to go below that, but like the Bose

LP system,  the benefit for acoustic instruments like string bass, cello, and guitars, is the lack of coupling feedback from large speakers pushing air at your instrument, causing rumbling feedback if you have to stand close to the sound source. Also the even dispersion in a wide field is another benefit. I’ve been checking the new solo out, and sitting close to it and turning up, and unless I was doing radical octave down or sub sonics with processing, I don’t think I’d miss a sub or lower range on a conventional 2 way powered speaker.  I did a wedding a few months back in a small room with two huge bay windows, and me crammed in a corner with My mackie srm350’s one as a monitor pointed at me the other on a stand facing the room, I played at a minimal volume but because I was in such tight corners I was fighting coupling feedback most of the gig. The Solo comes with its own stand, a conventional tripod type, so its small footprint is also attractive. Stereo freaks might be disappointed, but at nearly a 1/3 the price of the Bose, it is pretty damned impressive. And one could always add a sub from another manufacturer, as it has a flexible set off ins and outs on the back.  A tech support guy at fishman said that they have been getting favorable response from double bas players, but of course they would say that. Worth a look.  Sounds killer on nylon and steel string, haven’t tried my direct electric rig through it yet.

Bill