Re:OT top affordable microphones (was headache from cds)

Kevin please go on and tell us about this affordable hi quality mics!!
ive been doing some recording and ive been having some problems recording
acoustic guitars i am currently using a Rhode NT5 to do this,one of the
problems i am having is that when i record i push the signal as far as
possible without causing distortion,i triy to find the sweet spot until it
sounds good but when i play it back in Sonar it sounds really weak and i
have to compress them and EQ them to come to life.Now as you are saying a
good mic should capture the sound without having to do this and i believed
the NT5s are decent mics...
if you were right now to choose the affordable mics you must have to
record voice,drums and instruments which ones would you pick?
cheers
Luis