Re: VIOLA DA GAMBA was: Duduk and melancholic instrument

Todd Matthews schrieb:
> I played the violone in an early music ensemble which is kinda like a
> super sized gamba.

I just attended an extraordinarily beautifull concert with my friends
Hille Perl on Viola da Gamba and Lee Santana on Lute together with their
Viola da Gamba ensemble and Dorothee Mields on voice. Especially for
that concert they had been equipped with a matched family of six
different sizes of Gambas...
If you hear this absolutely clear and in tune sound of such an
incredible ensemble, you start to imagine what got lost by introducing
vibrato as the standard method of expression, especially the voice in
this case has an unmatched clarity, you usually never get from classical
singers...

They tour regularly in Europe, if you ever come across such a concert,
be sure you don't miss it...

Stefan

--
Les Ondes Mémorielles---------x--