Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Subject: Is That Jazz Festival in Seattle - My Performance and the Cell Phone for Audience Interaction

BTW, here is the link to my performance at the Seattle "Is That Jazz?" festival this last week.

I tried something different this time. I hooked my cell phone up to my audio interface, so that anything that came out of it would be proocessed and looped like my guitar. Then I put a sign on the stage with my cell phone number. As I entered the stage, I instructed the audience that if they were so inclined they could call my number, make noises, push buttons, talk, whistle, etc, and that not only would it come through the PA, but I would interact with it to make it a collaborative performance.

Well, it was a total success and loads of fun!  I got tons of calls from the approximately 50 or so audiences members, and all the calls were processed and randomly looped along with my guitar. There were many times when I was actually playing duo with an unknown audience member for 2-3 minutes. It was so much fun, and it made me laugh and smile many times during the performance. Some folks even sent me text messages with humorous comments, or asking me to do something again, etc.

Anyway, it was just a test to see if it would work. I now plan to assign different tones to my text messages and calls, so that I can write a max/msp patch that will do different things with those signals, like looping, or turning on a certain effect and so on. I've already written a patch that will convert a cell phone call into randomly changing my effect selection. Lots of potential here.

Kris