Re: communication

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Jeff Duke <jeff_d@embarqmail.com> wrote:
> I am wondering how long it would take to send a drum message to Rick in
> Santa Cruz from my apt in Ocala, Florida. How many people would it take
> provided we all knew the language.  Mapquest says 2718 mi.

Light message is faster because the fire can be seen at greater
distance and needs less "middle men". Both light and sound message
needs the middle men to wait for the message to complete before
sending it on to the next guy.

Here in Scandinavia we have an old vocalist tradition that developed
- jeezz... must be more than thousand years ago - as a call for cows.
Cows were sent out to walk freely in the woods and certain sound
frequencies tended to carry better over far distances. When thinking
about it, I'm not really sure about why this is a female vocal
tradition: is it because the female tonal frequency worked better for
calling back the cows or is it because the men had other things on
their agendas back in those days?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se