Re: Appreciating this Home was New World - Chill Ambient Live

> From: Rick Walker
> ps It's also very cool , too, when someone such as yourself,
> comes in as
> a newbie and immediately begins working
> hard to promote the community. Thanks for your energy in this regard.

Thanks. I simply like to work on new things; I guess it's the way my
brains have been programmed. As of last year, I've started to promote the
live looping concept in Belgium via the internet and friends. And slowly,
very slowly I get positive responses from musicians who write me back,
showing interest in the festival I'm organizing, people asking for
cooperation on the CD projects they are working on. I know they are out
there but they need a little encouragement to get them out of their holes
but I'm sure that someday there will come something out of it.

The reason why I’m doing this is that I like play music with open minded
people who understand and appreciate what you are doing, emotionally
speaking. I like musicians who play functionally, who can adjust
themselves. I come from a traditional pop/rock band background and what
has disappointed me so many times in the past is that a lot of musicians
have big egos if you know what I mean. For example, the guitarists and
keyboardists who keep soloing for hours and only hear themselves ;) They
can destroy a good performance, kill the vibe and flow of a song, ruin the
atmosphere and that makes me mad. Don't get me wrong: playing in a
pop/rock band can be fun but it usually doesn't give me the "wow" feeling.

But what has worked well is to apply live looping techniques in
traditional bands. The problem I had was finding a platform to do a live
looping act on stage. I mean, it’s not easy to find a live looping
friendly venue to perform live. So, what I have done is playing 2-3 minute
live looping intros to open a gig or start a particular song and that
formula has been very successful so far. It’s an excellent way to get the
attention of the listeners; they always ask you after the show how you did
that special intro and create these sounds. And for the band it’s good
too, because it distinguishes you from the masses.

> I can't wait to see you everyone who is coming to Antwerp, Roma and
> perhaps, Firenze this coming summer at
> the loopfests.

Me too, I’m looking forward to upcoming festivals. I’ve planned play
Antwerp and hopefully Roma, and I would like to come to Y2K in October ;)

---
Sjaak
http://euroloopfest.com/
http://sjaakovergaauw.com/