Re: Appreciating this Home was New W

Nevyn Nowhere schrieb:
> Alas, stuck in Portland.  California is near a 15 hour drive (just to
> SF).  LA much more.  I've done the drive a few times.  Portland does not
> have much in the way of loopers or even electronic musicians that are
> more than just DJs.

Maybe you just found your new role. Most important looper in the
Portland area who is promoting live looping all over the place...

> Lower west coast. Even Seattle is a bit friendlier to electronic than
> Portland (a town notorious for it's RAWK and now it's emo), but still
> far too raver based on the whole.  SF is a lovely haven I adore, but far
> too expensive to live in.

Did I just talk about a new role? Friendliness of a region is not a
requirement, in the contrary there are so many more ears to open...

> Yes, and the US is very tall.  Those are long distances.  I just thought
> it would be neat if any northwesterners were on here.

Yes, get them going, someone has to start it...

> Sure, I've put some on in Portland, and helped in Seattle.  Played at
> some others.  It happens, it's just not frequent, and it's more
> "electronic friendly but we're not ravers or DJs" and all the various
> sub avenues that fit in under that umbrella.

Span your own umbrella...

> That is part of the reasoning behind my non traditional electronic music
> events in Portland as well.  Let's band together: the Mentality.

In your heart you know what to do about it already of course...

> Portland!  Portland!  And I definitely can't get looping specific;
> that's just a rarity in this town.  And when speaking of pure looping
> only, not something that gets to live anywhere near enough.

As soon as you really want it happen, it will happen...

> Yep, I'm working on it... Alas it's more about cultivating the interest
> at this point in time in Portland.  There are a lot of strong unground
> scenes/sub scenes etc of rawk and electronic... most adhere to one
> formula per, something I've always loved about looping: as many formulas
> as the mind can imagine.

Organizers are always conservative, but the audience is always seeking
new experiences... The weirder the frame you put it in, the more
interesting for the audience. Make them curious, then they'll come...

Stefan

--
Les Ondes Mémorielles---------x--